Sunday, January 4, 2009

Let's Hope It's A Good One...

Happy 2009 everybody! Not too long ago I was asked a great question by a beautiful woman. "What was your favorite present you received and favorite present you gave this year?" Feel free to post your answer to that question as a comment to this blog. I'd be interested to check out your response! Personally, my favorite gift this year I have yet to actually see. It's a framed silk-screened poster from my very first solo performance with my backing band from this past Spring at the Beat Kitchen in Chicago. It's especially awesome because another friend had gotten the Spitalfield finale performance poster framed for me for my birthday last Summer. So these two will look great side by side, don't ya think? My favorite gift that I gave this year was a giant "Gale Sayers: 1965 NFL Rookie of the Year" banner, personalized and signed by Gale himself. I met him at Yorktown Mall a few weeks before Christmas in a sports memorabilia store. Too bad the 2008 Chicago Bears couldn't even make the playoffs. I even attended two (freezing cold) games this year! What gives, Bears? I did my part.

I've been writing so much material lately, it's been great. I can't wait to get into the studio so you guys can hear some of the new songs! I played Metro a little over a week ago, and it felt really good. I've always loved that stage, and I think I always will. Check out this YouTube video of my cover of "In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins live from the Metro:





The holidays were really special this year. With Dan Man (my younger brother) around on his winter break, we've been able to spend some quality time together. It's been pretty fantastic. If we look back at the past two weeks, one thing we can truly say we accomplished is beating both The Lion King (pictured below) & Donkey Kong Country for Super Nintendo. That is pretty big time.





If you had asked me a couple years ago what my thoughts were on eating sushi, you'd probably have not gotten much of a verbal response- but more of an facial expression that says "Um, hey thanks, but no thanks". How foolish I was! Here is a photo of one of my finest meals to date:



Listening to lately:

Ray Lamontagne - If you haven't heard anything from him yet, you will. It's kind of like Van Morrison and David Gray birthed a child artist who was really into Wes Anderson films. Make sense? Probably not. Suggested track: You Are The Best Thing

D'Angelo - Yes, yes- the ripped black singer who was naked in that video from the mid-90's. But more importantly, one of the best "Neo-Soul" artists I've ever heard. When I think of the term "groove", I think of him. Suggested track to get down to: I Found My Smile Again


I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season! 2009 is going to be a good one, I know it.

xoxoxo

Mark

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

D'Angelo, eh? Well you are truly awesome, Mark. You can't forget Brown Sugar.

Anonymous said...

Best gift I received: gift card toward American Airlines flights!

Best gift I gave: all 3 Spitalfield albums.

PS - sushi is delicious.

-Laney

Anonymous said...

Presents:

Got = New guitar!

Gave = My whole family pitched in to buy my sister a laptop since she is going away to school next year.

I'll check out those artists you suggested.

Thanks for still making great music!

Anonymous said...

I met you at the Spitalfield farewell show in Lawrence Kansas, I told you I wanted more Genesis covers and I'm so stoked to see your Phil Collins cover. I just hope you can bring it to Kansas sometime soon!

Chantelle said...

Best gift I received: A Boss TU-2 Tuner Pedal.

Best gift I gave: A screen-printed T-shirt. No, really...it's a pretty cool shirt.

All the best to you this year! Can't wait for your record release...it'll be epic.

Anonymous said...

when's the record release? *stoked*

Anonymous said...

that phil collins cover is sick- you should record it!

best present i received this year was a miles davis CD box set from my aunt. i gave my brother a led zep CD, trying to get him on the right track (he is 7)!

happy new year to you, Mark! big things for you this year!

come back to baltimore, would ya?

-Mikey

hazelina ohhh said...

you're awesome Mark! so is phil colins. teehee :D

Anonymous said...

Put out an album!! =)

Anonymous said...

sick phil cover, buddy.

Jessica said...

3 things.

1: That's an awesome video.

2: I have that Lion King game!! Haven't played it in awhile, but it is awesome! I did play Earthworm Jim 2 for the SNES a little while ago. That's a fun one too :)

3: I found "It's Not Easy Being Green" (the book) at Barnes & Noble for like 5 bucks a couple weeks back! I was slap-happy :)

I hope you're well, Mark. Take care.